Prior to the event prior to the events of Freedom Planet, Torque and a squadron of Chasers were locked in a space battle with Brevon's Dreadnought, which was en route to Planet Avalice to steal the Planet's main (and only) source of energy: the Kingdom Stone. During the battle, his Captain and entire crew were all killed and/or corrupted by Brevon. Torque swore to his dying Captain that he will stop Brevon from stealing the Kingdom Stone for his galactic conquest. Upon arriving on Avalice, he disguised himself as a Shellduck to hide his alien appearance. But since he was the only remaining Chaser, he needed help to stop Brevon and his army, help he received from a group of young girls called Team Lilac. Together, Torque and his new crew sets out to stop Lord Brevon from stealing the Kingdom Stone and plunging the Three Kingdoms of Avalice into a Civil War.
Torque is an Alien with (possible) dark blue eyes, a light-green body and hair of the same color. He wears a black space suit orange/gray armor, orange boots, gray gloves and orange pilot goggles. As a Shellduck, Torque wears a black/gray turtle shell, brown gloves and a yellow duck beak over his face.
At first Torque was reluctant to open up to Lilac, it was not until he was revealed as an alien that he explained the whole situation. He did not like the idea of getting civilians involved in a galactic conflict, but once he saw her, Carol and Milla in action, he quickly changed his mind. When Lilac was being tortured by Brevon, Torque's resolve quickly faded, showing that he cares greatly about her well-being.
Prior to the events of the game, Torque had a crew of Spectrum Chasers under his command. It is implied that he was very close to his crew and was saddened by their demise. During the course of the adventure, he starts to think of Lilac, Carol & Milla as his new crew. Torque was so hurt by the loss of his old crew, that he could not bear the thought of losing them too.
Powers and Abilities
- Leadership: Being a commander in the Spectrum Chasers, it is natural that Torque was trained in leadership. His skills as a leader are debatable although he has never shown any signs of incompetence. Torque has never shown any signs of good leadership (his previous crew was wiped out after all).
- Marksman: Torque is shown to be talented in firearms, both using and maintaining them without any difficulty.
- Ace Pilot: Torque is shown to be skilled pilot in various flying machines, being able to pick up a biplane. Despite not having any previous experience with the vehicle, he was quickly able to master flying it.
- Technology Expert: Torque is shown to be fluent in various forms of advanced technology.
- Contortionist: While in his Shell-Duck costume, Torque was able to squeeze into the small space with no signs of difficulty.
Torque's Main Weapon is a Blaster that he uses to shoot enemies, range varies on Weapon Type.
Torque's Boots are equipped with thrusters that enable him to hover in the air and resets his momentum.
The Thrusters in Torque's Boots can also be used to Increase his speed while running on the ground.
Torque's Blaster can cycle between 4 different Weapon Types.
Torque uses a Blaster with a standard Laser, and Elemental variants of the Buster, Bomb and Flyer. Except for the Laser, all weapon types requires ammunition, which is replenished by collecting Keystones. A Keystone of the same element as the weapon type will replenish up to 4 ammo rounds. Also, when defeating an enemy with the Laser, they will drop a rainbow colored Keystone that gives 1 ammo round to all weapons. Several of his weapon types are able to break down walls and is similar to attacks used by other characters.
Weapon Types & Variations
Torque's Default Weapon; it has Infinite Ammo but a weak Damage Output.
Fires short-range projectiles that are stronger the Laser.
Fires 3 shots that spread out.
Fires a wave-like attack that deals high damage.
Fires a stream of water that travels further the longer the trigger is held.
Shoots Fire in a frontal cone, similar to Serpentine's flamethrower.
A laser that penetrates walls and enemies.
Fires projectiles that deals area-of-effect damage.
An aerial shot that fires 12 shots outwards after a certain distance.
A Projectile that leaves spikes on the ground, similar to Neera Li's Ice Spikes.
Fires a bubble that explodes into multiple Water Buster-sized shots.
Fires a Rocket that moves in a straight line, creating an explosion upon impact.
Fires a Missile guided by Torque's movements.
Fires projectiles that moves and deals airborne damage.
Launches a Boomerang that can pick up Crystal Shards and Life Petals.
Fires shots that splits into 2 vertical shockwaves.
Shoots multiple bubbles that float upwards diagonally.
Shoots a small burst of fire that moves directly upwards.
Shoots a blade that moves upward, able to ricochet off walls.
- On the weapon select screen, if the player presses Up and Button A, an Easter Egg will occur where Torque will yell "HERE WE GOOOO", his neck stretching to the point where it goes off the screen in the process.
- Torque is the sole playable ally in Freedom Planet.
- While not playable in the base game, if you select the Beta in the properties tab of the PC version of Freedom Planet, you can play as Torque in some stages. His gameplay is pretty much completed aside from some small details, suggesting that his gameplay elements were scrapped late in development.
- Torque's weapons are similar to the weapons from the classic Mega Man Games:
- Buster Weapons
- Bomb Weapons
- Flyer Weapons
|Playable||• • • • •|
|Allies||• • • • •|
|Enemies||• • • • • •|
|NPC||• • • • • Soldiers|
|Deceased||• • •|