Torque is a commander and the last known living member of the Spectrum Chasers, a battle-force formed by an Alliance of Planets to protect the Galaxy from galactic threats such as Lord Brevon. Prior to the event prior to the events of Freedom Planet, Torque and a squadron of Chasers were locked in a space battle with Brevon's Dreadnought, which was en route to Planet Avalice to steal the Planet's main source of energy: the Kingdom Stone. During the battle, his Captain and entire crew were all killed and/or corrupted by Brevon. Torque swore to his dying Captain that he will stop Brevon from stealing the Kingdom Stone for his galactic conquest. Upon arriving on Avalice, he disguised himself as a Shellduck to hide his alien appearence. But since he was the only remaining Chaser, he needed help to stop Brevon and his army, help in the forms of a Purple Dragon Girl, a Tomboy Wildcat and a Bashful Hound Dog. Together, Torque and his new crew sets out to stop Lord Brevon from stealing the Kingdom Stone and plunging the Three Kingdoms of Avalice (Shang Tu, Shang Mu & Shuigang) into a Civil War.
Lilac: At first Torque was reluctant to open up to Lilac, it was not until he was revealed as an alien that he explained the whole situation. He did not like the idea of getting civilians involved in a galactic conflict, but once he saw her, Carol and Milla in action, he quickly changed his mind. When Lilac was being tortured by Brevon, Torque's resolve quickly faded, showing that he cares greatly about her well-being.
Chaser Crew: Prior to the events of the game, Torque had a crew of Spectrum Chasers under his command. It is implied that he was very close to his crew and was saddened by their demise. During the course of the adventure, he starts to think of Lilac, Carol and Milla as his new crew. Torque was so hurt by the loss of his old crew, that he could not bear the thought of losing them too.
Powers and Abilities
- Leadership: Being a commander in the Spectrum Chasers, it is natural that Torque was trained in leadership. His skills as a leader are debatable although he has never shown any signs of incompetence. Torque has never shown any signs of good leadership (his previous crew was wiped out after all).
- Marksman: Torque is shown to be talented in firearms, both using them and maintaining them without any difficulty.
- Ace Pilot: Torque is shown to be skilled pilot in various flying machines, being able to pick up a biplane. Despite not having any previous experience with the vehicle, he was quickly able to master flying a biplane.
- Technology Expert: Torque is shown to be fluent in various forms of advanced technology.
- Contortionist: While in his Shellduck costume, Torque was able to squeeze into the small space with no signs of difficulty.
|Shoot||Attack||Uses whatever weapon is equipped|
|Hoverboots||Jump (while in mid-air)||Can be used indefinitely; resets momentum|
|Boost||↓ (while running)||Increases speed|
|Switch Weapon||Special||Cycles between Laser, Buster, Bomb, and Flyer|
Torque uses a blaster with a standard Laser, and Elemental variants of the Buster, Bomb and Flyer. Except for the Laser, all weapon types requires ammunition, which is replenished by collecting Keystones. A Keystone of the same element as the weapon type will replenish up to 4 ammo rounds. Also, when defeating an enemy with the Laser, they will drop a rainbow colored Keystone that gives 1 ammo round to all weapons. Several of his weapon types are able to break down walls and is similar to attacks used by other characters.
- Laser: A Default Weapon with infinite ammo, but has a weak damage output.
- Buster: Fires short range projectiles that are stronger than the Laser.
- Bomb: Fires projectiles that deals area-of-effect damage upon impacting the ground.
- Flyer: Fires long range projectiles that travel upwards in a diagonal angle.
Weapon Element Variations
|Laser||A weapon that Torque always uses in every level. Though it has infinite ammo, it's damage output is weak.||Infinite|
|Wood Buster||Three shots that spread out. Medium range.||40|
|Earth Buster||A close range attack with high damage.||20|
|Water Buster||Fires a stream of water that travels further the longer the trigger is held. Close to medium range.||120|
|Fire Buster||Flamethrower attack in a frontal cone similar to Serpentine's flamethrower. Short range.||150|
|Metal Buster||A laser that penetrates walls and enemies.||40|
|Wood Bomb||Aerial shot that fires twelve shots outward after a certain distance.||20|
|Earth Bomb||Projectile fired at an arc which temporarily leaves spikes on the ground similar to Neera's freeze attack.||20|
|Water Bomb||Fires a bubble at an arc which explodes into multiple Water Buster shots upon impact with an enemy or surface.||10|
|Fire Bomb||Rocket that moves in a straight line, creating a 2-second explosion upon impact with an enemy or surface, or after travelling a certain distance.||10|
|Metal Bomb||Missile guided by Torque's movement.||10|
|Wood Flyer||Boomerang that moves at an arc that goes through walls, returning to Torque. This can pick up crystal shards and health petals.||20|
|Earth Flyer||Fires shots that splits into two shockwaves hitting enemies vertically.||20|
|Water Flyer||Shoots multiple bubbles that float forward and upwards.||100|
|Fire Flyer||Shoots a small burst of of fire that moves directly upwards.||20|
|Metal Flyer||Shoots a blade that moves upward, bouncing off walls.||20|
- Torque is one of the two characters (& the sole hero) who do(es) not have an appearance in Freedom Planet 2, with the other being Lord Brevon.
- On the weapon select screen, if the player presses Up and Button A, an Easter Egg will occur where Torque will yell "HERE WE GOOOO", his neck stretching to the point where it goes off the screen in the process.
- Torque is the sole playable ally in Freedom Planet.
- While not playable in the base game, if you select the Beta in the properties tab of the PC version of Freedom Planet, you can play as Torque in some stages. His gameplay is pretty much completed aside from some small details, suggesting that his gameplay elements were scrapped late in development.
- Torque's weapons are similar to the weapons from the classic Mega Man Games:
- Buster Weapons
- Bomb Weapons
- Flyer Weapons
|Playable||Lilac • Carol • Milla • Torque • Spade • Neera|
|Allies||Askal • Dail • Gong • Magister • Pangu • Zao|
|Enemies||Aaa • Brevon • Corazon • Kalaw • Merga • Serpentine • Syntax|
|NPC||Bird Guard • Igor • Maria • Mr. Stumpy • Sleeping Guard • Soldiers|
|Deceased||Cordelia • Dragon Scientist • Rogue Warrior • King of Shuigang|