Shang Mu Academy is one of the Extra Stage in Freedom Planet, and can only be played in Time Attack Mode.
Located in Shang Mu, the Academy is where the player can practice playing as Lilac, Carol & Milla in 18 target smashing Obstacle Courses. The goal is to break the Targets on each Course as quickly as possible while avoiding Traps. By completing all 18 stages, the player will earn a Target Master Achievement for the corresponding character. All characters will have a maximum of 1 to 3 Health Petals in these Courses, but some Courses will reduce the amount to 0.
|2||4||3||A little more complex|
|3||4||3||First stage with springs|
|4||6||2||First stage with spikes|
|5||6||3||First stage with spike pillars|
|7||4||1||First moving platform|
|8||11||3||Several moving platforms|
|10||4||0||Spikes, no health|
|13||1||3||Precision jumping to narrow platforms|
|14||7||3||Inside of big loop|
|15||7||3||Stage spells out "GO FOR IT!"|
|16||8||0||Ladders over spikes, no health|
|17||5||3||Three deep half-pipes|
|18||1||3||Extended obstacle course|
- Target Master (Lilac): Clear all target rooms in Shang Mu Academy as Lilac.
- Target Master (Carol): Clear all target rooms in Shang Mu Academy as Carol.
- Target Master (Milla): Clear all target rooms in Shang Mu Academy as Milla.
- The Stages in Shang Mu Academy might have been inspired by the Target Smash stages from the Super Smash Bros. Series.
- A glitch may sometimes occur if Restart is used within a stage. It will cause the game to instead send the player character back to the Shang Mu Academy Stage Select Menu and render said Stage Select invisible. The player character can also move around this empty plain until an action button is pressed to either advance to a stage, or exit the Academy.
- There are unused sprites of a Basketball and a Basketball hoop for this stage. It is possible Basketball would have been some kind of bonus game or unlockable. It is also possible the Shang Mu Academy might have had a different function entirely.