Freedom Planet started its development around 2011 in form of a Sonic the Hedgehog fangame with Sonic game typical elements but it was decided to change them up in order for the game to become a commercial title.  The game was developed using Multimedia Fusion 2 and is powered with a Sonic fan game engine called Sonic Worlds, with version 1.2c as its base, later including features from version 1.3 and above.
Over the course of production and development, many characters received huge overhauls in their personal designs and characteristics.
|Lilac||Lilac likely received the most design changes. Her earliest known form is that of a Hedgehog before being ultimately being transformed into a Dragon.|
|Carol||Carol was originally portrayed as a Black Cat with blonde hair and an orange shirt rather than the green Wildcat we know now. Strife received permission from Ziyo, the original owner of the character, to overlay Carol's old model into the new one.|
|Milla||Milla as well as Carol, were originally owned and created by Ziyo Ling before ultimately handing permission to Strife for use on Freedom Planet.|
|Torque||Torque received more vibrant green, and additional detailing within his model.|
|Spade||Spade was originally a cavy before being changed into a panda. He also had shoes resembling Shadow the Hedgehog's air skates. Overall, Spade went through numerous design changes.|
|Serpentine||Serpentine was originally created as a slug rather than a viper, and he is seen riding on a snake in earlier pre-release bulids.|
All characters eventually received cel shading as well.
Over the course of the development, Strife changed the names and order of the stages. Initially, the game only was supposed to have five stages, but they increased to ten finished stage, with five other (known) ending scrapped. 
A majority of soundtrack also either went completely unused, or received upgrades and/or overhauls.
|Dragon Valley 1||Has a different tone overall.|
|Dragon Valley 2||Altered sounds for the tone quality.|
|Relic Maze||Has an overall lighter tune.|
|Sky Battalion||Completely changed in final builds.|
|Battle Glacier||Almost identical to the final.|
|Mid-Boss||Sounds more techno-rock than the final variant, which has a more serious-softer tone.|
|Main Boss||Lower secondary tone and an altered sound near the end. The final variant is also extended.|
|Aqua Tunnel Boss||Slightly unfinished and missing a few sound effects portions.|
|Prince Dail's Theme||This track has a more intense/fierce quality of tone, rather than the sad/serious nature of tone heard within the Final. This track is actually used as a placeholder song for the Dail Boss fights. Originating from a project of Woofle's, this track was eventually replaced by the final, official Dail Boss theme before the final release of Freedom Planet. This track's original project name is "Like A Boss".|
|Final Boss (First Phase)||Altered pitch of quality and removed a line of audio sounds.|
|Disaster||A possible beta Variant of the final "Disaster" theme used in-game. This track is named "Disaster Strikes" in the official Soundtrack.|
|Drowning||A drowning theme. Bears a high resemblance to the Sonic franchise's variant and was likely scrapped due to no longer being classified as a Sonic Fangame.|
|Invincible||Has a higher secondary tone in the final.|
|Power-up||Some kind of power-up, possibly a Speed-up? Speed-up power up does not normally appear in any final version release. Could also have been used as another beta power-up that would grant the wielder infinite power gauge.|
|Super Form Test||Leftover Super Form theme. Like the Drowning theme, both tracks are just leftovers from the game engine being used at the time.|
|Title theme||The early title intro theme.|
|Mahjong theme||Beta 1.1 build version of Mahjong. It was used in the demo as a mini-game tune. Behind the scenes, it is actually based off of one of Woofle's project songs, City Centre Groove, though the project in question could actually have been Freedom Planet.|
Alternate Color palettes/Costumes
It was originally possible to change the color of Lilac's clothes, Carol's scarf and Milla's hair/bracelets in five different colors for each, resulting in alternate Color Palettes for the girls. Milla also has one unused costume.
Debug Character Select
Lilac's Treehouse (Day)
Lilac's Treehouse at daytime. It's used as the location for cutscenes but isn't normally accessible. Originally, it was meant as a hub area in which the player can save their game and look at the special items (most likely the codecs) that have been collected.
A bit of the area can be explored. It's possible to go inside the treehouse and enter the living room but it's not possible to go upstairs to the bedroom.
When the area as entered with anyone other than Lilac, she can be seen sitting outside on a bench next to the bridge by the treehouse. Talking to her triggers a voice clip spoken by the player (carol_hililac as Carol and milla_hililac as Milla), with Lilac answering with another voice clip (lilac_whatsupcarol and lilac_hellomilla respectively).
Lilac's Treehouse (Night)
Nearly identical to Lilac's Treehouse (Day), but at nighttime instead. Torque in his shellduck disguise along with his tent can be seen in the left of the screen.
The following unused Voice Clips relate to this Area:
|What's up Carol?|
|Hey there Lilac.|
|What's happenin' Carol?|
Hedgehog Lilac's voice recording had much lower audio when compared to Dragon Lilac's.
In addition, the following dialogue was either removed, altered, or never implemented into the final builds. Regardless, the voice recording for most, if not all, of the removed dialogue for the characters still exists: 
- Carol: Try and catch me this time!
- Lilac: Way ahead of you!
- Carol: I can't wait! This is gonna be the best Charge-Up ever!
- Lilac: Just take from the rich, okay?
- Carol: Got it!
- Lilac: You swear?
- Carol: Pinky swear!
Lilac's Treehouse (Day)
- Lilac: I'm sorry about running off on you back there...
- Carol: Yeah, well, it happens...
- Carol: We can trust this guy, right?
- Lilac: Well, what if he's telling the truth? What if the stone really can be taken? You know what'll happen then, right?
- Carol: No more Charge-ups?
- Lilac: Exactly.
- Carol: Then why are you here?
- Gong: She's protecting our guests this evening. Can't be too careful with all these robots runnin' around.
- Neera: If you're here to recharge, there's a line over there. Otherwise I suggest you let us do our jobs.
(Scene between Lilac and Carol)
- Lilac: Follow me!
- Lilac: We're gonna steal the Kingdom Stone before they do!
- Carol: Whoa, really?
- Lilac: Well, we'll give it right back. Come on!
Lilac's Treehouse (Night)
- Torque: Are you sure it's okay for me to set up a tent here?
- Lilac: It's the least we can do after what happened today...
- Torque: Eh, don't blame yourself. You did everything you could. I'll get the stone back somehow.
- Lilac: Can I ask you something?
(Scene between Lilac, Carol and Milla)
- Carol: Like what?
- Lilac: Well... Do you ever think about your family? I mean, about seeing them again someday?
- Carol: I think about my big sister sometimes. I dunno... It's not like I can go back there anytime soon.
- Lilac: Yeah...
- Milla: I wish I had a sister, but nothing's happened yet. I tried shooting stars, crystal balls, chewing grass...
- Carol: How 'bout rubbing your ears? I did that when I was little.
- Lilac: You know what? Carol and I can be your sisters!
- Milla: You can DO THAT??
- Lilac: Sure, why not?
- Milla: I guess that works afterall! Thanks Carol!
(Scene between Lilac, Carol and Torque)
- Lilac: So, you're an alien then?
- Torque: Pretty much, yeah.
- Carol: Space cooties!
- Torque: You don't believe me.
- Lilac: Actually, I do.
- Torque: Really?
- Lilac: They say that a long time ago, dragons came to Avalice and mixed with our ancestors.
- Carol: And not just ones like Lilac. Huge ones, like in the movies!
- Lilac: So I guess it's not much of a stretch for other things to be out there too.
- Torque: I see...
(Scene between Lilac, Carol, Milla and Torque)
- Torque: Just remember something really important... Don't talk about our mission unless I say so.
- Torque: We do not want the whole world thinking we're crazy.
- Lilac: Understood.
- Carol: I dunno about you guys, but I'm exhausted.
- Lilac: Yeah, we better get some shut-eye. We've got a big day ahead of us.
- Torque: Lilac...
- Torque: Thank you.
- Carol: He seems a little...
- Lilac: Eccentric?
- Carol: Un-Mayor-ish.
- Lilac: That too.
- Torque: We better play along anyway. This is our chance to prove that Brevon exists.
- Torque: Might need to study this later...
- Lilac: Let's ask
- Carol: Me too!
- Lilac: Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa, you both like something? Is this the end of the world?
(Scene between Lilac, Carol and Milla)
- Lilac: Good job, Milla!
- Milla: Thanks!
- Carol: What's going on?!
- Torque: I gotta admit, your planet looks pretty cool.
- Carol: Thanks, I guess.
- Carol: What's your planet like?
- Torque: Well, there's a lot of water. Over 80% of my world is covered in it.
- Carol: Does it have sharks?
- Torque: What?
- Carol: Y'know, sharks. Big fish with lots of teeth.
- Torque: Oh, yeah, quite a lot.
- Carol: What about ninjas?
- Torque: That's a weird name for a fish.
- Carol: You got a lot to learn about this planet.
(Scene between Lilac, Carol, Milla and Torque)
- Lilac: Torque, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
- Torque: I think it's crazy enough to work!
- Lilac: Alright girls, here's the plan. We're gonna run to the other ships and kung-fu their cannons.
- Carol: Let's do it!
- Milla: It's time to be brave!
- Milla: What are you gonna do to me?
- Neera: Relax. It's dishonorable to hurt small children.
- Neera: Follow me.
Jade Creek Outskirts
- Spade: I'm not doing the buddy-buddy thing with you. As soon as we're in, I'm flying solo.
- Carol: Whatever you say, pal.
- Lilac: Uh, excuse me...
- Gong: You're alive?
- Lilac: Of course! I was the one who led that dragon here.
- Carol: And guess what, Mayor Zao? Lilac said that the invaders have a lot of treasure on their ship!
- Zao: Of course! Hear this, my friends! There's treasure to be won from this battle! Even if you don't fight for freedom, fight for wealth! For glory! For everlasting chow mein!
(while the heroes go riding into battle)
- Zao: Gyaah!
- Gong: It's an ambush! Keep moving! We'll hold them off!
- Zao: You better! Alright. While you're driving my tank, I only have two rules... Aim, and fire!
- Dail: It seems that I have underestimated your strength. Not this time!
- Lilac: Do your worst!
- Torque: We've beaten you before and we'll do it again!
- Carol: Yeah, what are you gonna do? Throw robots at us? Giant robots with lasers in their buttcheeks maybe?
- Lilac: Carol, you jinxed us!
- Carol: So did you and Torque!
- Milla: Is anyone else feeling a little scared right now?
(After defeating Dail's Shade Beast)
- Milla: LOOK OUT!
(Scene between the heroes and Spade)
- Carol: Y'know, for once I'm actually glad to see you show up.
Final Dreadnought (Round 3)
- Brevon: Remove the device!
- Brevon: I won't ask you again. Throw it to me!
- Brevon: Just like I said... right in harm's way.
- Brevon: I bet she doesn't like you very much now!
- Brevon: Go on, then. Show your friends just how angry you are!
- Torque: C'mon! Lilac!
- Lilac: The stone!
- Torque: We're out of time!
- Lilac: But our world won't survive without it! Take Milla and go! I'll catch up!
- Carol: I gotta help her!
- Carol: No no no NO!!
- Torque: We'll blast our way through it! To the ship!
(later scene after the Kingdom Stone's new form was revealed)
- Carol: Hmm...
- Carol: Brevon still got your tongue?
- Lilac: Do you think he was telling the truth? About trying to save his homeworld and all?
- Carol: I don't know, but, if he was, then, well, we showed him how it was done.
- Lilac: Yeah...
- Carol: Hey... Who's a grumpy little Lilac? Who's a gwumpy little Wiwac?
- Lilac: Hey! Thanks.
(before Torque's rocket lifts off)
- Torque: It's funny... I'll be taking off exactly where I crashed in the first place.
(after Torque's rocket leaves)
- Lilac: Aww, don't worry girls. We'll get Space Cooties back here someday.
- Carol: Yeah.
Besides the aforementioned sprites above, some sprites were completely changed in later builds and releases:
- The Girls' drowning animations have been changed numerous times. In Beta 1.2 build, players can still move the drowned characters, causing glitches. In Beta 1.4 build, the moving glitch was fixed. Additionally, Lilac/Carol would make produce a sound effect similar to the Sonic-stlye of games. Starting with Version 1.15.5, drowning animations (as well as the previously mentioned sound effect) have been removed completely, though why the removal remains unclear. When the character in play drowns, an instank kill flag is triggered, thus defeating the character instantly (similar to Final Dreadnought 2).
- In the Nintendo Switch version, Milla's swimming animation has been significantly altered to less resemble her running animation.
Some monitors icons received overhauls or were just completely unused. In order starting left scrolling:
- Crystal, Petals, Fire shield, Lightning shield.
- Water Shield, Invincible, Speed-up, 1-up (Lilac).
- Empty (possibly Carol 1-up), Leaf Shield, Earth Shield, Keystone.
- Yen, Chicken, Empty, Blank
In the August 4th prototype, all monitor power-ups were finalized, but not their shape. Eventually, the five shield power-ups and the invincibility were redesigned in the final release. The Crystal Box was completely reshaped differently from the others.
Potions can be found, but are ultimately unused. There are five total, and each potion color corresponds to a Shield Crystal of the matching color. Interestingly, the concept idea is reused for Freedom Planet 2.
A handful of leftover objects remains:
|Text found within the list of Stage names. Unknown purpose, but possibly for DLC content?|
|Stage Select icon for Relic Maze. This stage is unavailable in the pre-release versions, so the icon ultimately goes unused.|
|A signpost (spinning). These objects were never used at all.|
|These unused sprites of the signpost would have shown who completed the stage (Shows Lilac in her old design).|
|A Basketball with accompanying Hoop. Data suggests they belongs in the Shang Mu Academy.|
|An unused Question Mark icon from the scrapped Shang Tu Dojo Stage. Would likely have been used to show enemies needed to unlock.|
PlayStation Vita and Android Ports
Strife considered making an Android port of the game but decided to save up money to port the game to PlayStation Vita, which sadly never released. However though, eventually there would be a PlayStation 4 port of the game.
- ↑ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/galaxytrail/freedom-planet-high-speed-platform-game
- ↑ https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Freedom_Planet_(Windows,_Mac_OS_X,_Linux)#Carol_Tea
- ↑ http://soahcity.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6328-freedom-planet-v-14/&page=4#comment-138325
- ↑ https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Freedom_Planet_(Windows,_Mac_OS_X,_Linux)#Stage_List
- ↑ https://www.weasyl.com/~woofle/submissions/25370/like-a-boss
- ↑ Freedom Planet
- ↑ See also: The quotes section of Lilac, Carol, Milla, Torque, Neera, Brevon. As their dialogue was still recorded for Freedom Planet.
- ↑ It's better to record too many lines and not need them than to record too few and schedule another session. - Strife on GalaxyTrail Discord Server.
- ↑ https://tcrf.net/Freedom_Planet_(Windows,_Mac_OS_X,_Linux)#Invsible_Objects
- ↑ Sonic Retro- Retro Interviews: The Freedom Planet Invades Florida Supercon Edition