Freedom Planet (フリーダムプラネット) is a combat-based 2D platformer and the first full-scale game from independent developer GalaxyTrail.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Characters
- 4 Stages
- 5 Art Gallery
- 6 Videos
- 7 References
The planet, Avalice, has long known a tenuous peace thanks to the Kingdom Stone, an orb of unknown origin that outputs enough free energy to power every device in the world, seemingly without limit. The Kingdom Stone is beginning to weaken, however, and the planet's three ruling Kingdoms are poised to engage in an all-out war over control of this most precious resource. Add that to a "coup d'etat" within one of these Kingdoms, instigated by an invading alien army, and Avalice's future is looking grim.
Enter three unlikely heroines: the Dragon, Sash Lilac, who unwittingly gets involved when she witnesses a strange airship crash-land and grows concerned for the well being of its pilot; the Wildcat, Carol Tea, whose dedication to her best friend leads her to undertake whatever challenges fate throws her way; and the Orphaned Puppy, Milla Basset, whose quest for nothing more than mere companionship inadvertently brings her directly into the line of fire.
Together, this Trio of Heroines must somehow ingratiate themselves to each of the Three Kingdoms, stop an all-out alien invasion and learn the secret nature of the Kingdom Stone before its power wanes... and before a world war breaks out around them.
- These controls are as defined in-game unless noted. On the Windows/MacOS/Linux versions, they can be mapped to the keyboard or a controller as the player wishes.
|↑ / ↓ / ← / →||Move|
|Z / × (PS4)||Jump|
|↵ Enter / Options (PS4)||Pause/Resume|
- Main article: Freedom Planet/Items
Their are two Game Modes that the Player can choose between in the Main Game:
- Adventure Mode: Offers the full experience of the Game with fully voiced Cutscenes. Initially only playable as Lilac or Carol, with Version 1.20.6 adding Milla to the playable roster after the Player clears Relic Maze for the first time as either of the two.
- Classic Mode: Nearly identical to Adventure Mode, but removes most of the Cutscenes for a more streamlined and classic gameplay experience (hence the name).
Clearing a Save File in either Game Mode will allow the Player to select from all Stages.
The Player also has Optional Game Modes that include:
- Time Attack: Each of the Playable Characters can go through all of the unlocked Stages again to either speedrun for the fasted time or explore to collect the most Crystal Shards.
- Shang Mu Academy: Each Playable Characters can go through a series of Target Smashing Stages for the fasted time.
- Mahjong: A small Mini-Game that can be unlocked by collecting all 10 Star Cards in any of the Stages.
Shang Mu Academy and Mahjong are accessible through the Time Attack Menu.
- Enemies do half damage.
- High health regeneration.
- Enemies do normal damage.
- Low health regeneration.
- Enemies do normal damage.
- No health regeneration.
- Enemies do double damage.
- No health regeneration.
- Recovery time is removed.
- Shields only absorb 1 attack instead of 2.
- 300 Crystal Shards are required for an Extra Life.
- Many bosses' attack patterns are faster and less predictable.
- e.g. Lord Brevon's attack pattern, unmodified from its original form (pre-patch).
|Sash Lilac (The Main Protagonist)
A spunky Water Dragon Girl
|Carol Tea (The Deuteragonist)
A Tomboy Wildcat and Lilac's Best Friend
|Milla Basset (The Tritagonist)
An Orphan Hound Puppy with Alchemy Powers
An Alien and Commander of the Spectrum Chasers; disguised as a "Shell-Duck"
A Member of the Red Scarves, Dail's Half-Brother and Rival to Lilac & Carol
The burly Panda General of Shang Tu's Army
A wise Earth Dragon and the Heriditary Ruler of Shang Tu
A mischievous Red Panda and the Mayor of Shang Mu
A Royal Guard in Shang Tu's Royal Palace
An Ancient Robotic AI created by the Dragons of the Before Time
|Arktivus Brevon (The Main Antagonist)
An Intergalactic Warlord from Outer Space; bent on Galactic Conquest
A robotic-armed Snake and General of Lord Brevon's Army
The Prince of Shuigang and Spade's Half-Brother; brainwashed by Lord Brevon
A Robotic AI and Defense Drone who serves Lord Brevon
|King of Shuigang
The former ruler of Shuigang and Father of Dail & Spade
A Warrior with no Allegiance
A Scientist and Dragon from Ancient Times
An Inanimate Tree Stump and Milla's imaginary playmate
Warriors who serve and protect the Three Kingdoms of Avalice
Freedom Planet has a total of 14 Stages, with each one (minus Final Dreadnought) having a 1st and 2nd Act and ending with a Boss Fight. The order the Stages are played in are determined by the Playable Characters, whom each can only play on 12 of the Stages.
|Image||Name||Stage Number||Playable As|
|Aqua Tunnel||1st Overall Stage||
|Dragon Valley||2nd Overall Stage||
|Relic Maze||3rd Overall Stage||
|Fortune Night||4th Overall Stage||
|Sky Battalion||5th Overall Stage||
|Jade Creek||6th Overall Stage||
|Trap Hideout||7th Overall Stage||
|Thermal Base||8th Overall Stage||
|Pangu Lagoon||9th Overall Stage||
|Battle Glacier||10th Overall Stage||
|= = = = = = =||Final Dreadnought||Final 4-Stage Set||= = = = = = =|
|Round 1||11th Overall Stage||
|Round 2||12th Overall Stage||
|Round 3||13th Overall Stage||
|Round 4||14th Overall Stage
These are Extra Stages that are Playable in Freedom Planet after meeting certain conditions.
|Image||Name||Accessible From||Playable As|
|Bonus Stage||Adventure Mode
|Schmup Stage||Adventure Mode
|Shang Mu Academy||Time Attack Mode||
|Mahjong||Time Attack Mode||